Getting Started with Social Card: 5 Steps
Follow a few simple steps and quickly get your team's Social Card workspace up and running.
What's in this article
- Create your workspace
- Customize your first brand template
- Add your first recipient(s)
- Create your first card(s)
Step 0: Create your workspace.
If you still need to, please visit the following link to create your workspace and start your 14-day no-commitment free trial (Create Account). We'll gather basic information about your organization and how you plan to implement your digital business cards to help customize things for you. You'll need an active workspace before you start. If you've already made your workspace, great work. We can move on! If you'd like to learn more about plans and pricing, you can visit our pricing page.
Step 1: Customize your first brand template.
Templates are the starting point for your team's digital business cards. You can add your brand details, and we'll help you use them as a baseline for all cards created for your team.
For example, templates allow you to customize things like colors, branding, media, URLs, company information, socials, messaging, etc.
By default, your workspace comes preset with a Simple Template. These templates are built around our web platform and optimized to reduce complexity and decrease your time to networking. Making brand integration and default content population a breeze.
Here are some tips to follow:
- Rename your template if you'd like. Unique purpose-driven template naming avoids confusion.
- Add your organization's colors and media. Your brand is essential to the way you do business. You can typically pull all the information from internal brand guidelines. Reach out to your designers, marketers, or devs, as they may be able to help locate your brand guidelines!
- Add default content to your template (company website, product pages, CTAs, socials, sales decks, etc.). These are links used universally across all cards. This will speed things up downstream!
- Are you using the web platform? Before you can publish your template, your account needs a team URL. Learn more about team URLs and how to use your account URL.
- Publish your template. Publishing your template makes it available for creating new cards. You won't be able to add cards to your workspace until at least one template is published.
- Would you like to read more? What are templates?
Step 2: Add your first recipient(s).
Recipients can be considered a modern, simplified Rolodex that contains all your team members' basic and most up-to-date information. Recipient profiles hold standard networking information like full name, email, job title, organization (or brand), phone number(s), and custom attributes. These bite-sized pieces of information are used to create business cards that are always up-to-date and ready to build real, modern connections across your industry.
You can create recipients individually or use our bulk import tools to add many at once from a (CSV). To start with recipients, we suggest beginning individually to get the swing of things. You can start by creating a recipient profile for yourself.
- In the Actions panel (top right), click Add new recipient.
- Important: Recipient profiles are unique; each recipient in your workspace must have a unique email address.
- Note: An email address can only be assigned to one recipient, but one recipient can be assigned many cards.
- Once we've verified your recipient is unique to your workspace, we'll ask you to provide the basic contact information.
- Note: Custom attributes allow recipient profiles to store information unique to your business. Everyday use cases include calendar links, socials, and other web profiles unique to your org (or recipient).
- Remember to save your changes!
- That's it; your recipient is ready to roll. Exit the recipient editor; we can create your first cards in minutes.
- If you'd like to add more recipients, repeat this process for each new recipient or try importing in bulk.
Step 3: Create your first card(s).
So far, we've set up your workspace, customized and published your first template, and added your first recipients.
Creating your first card is easy with your template ready and at least one recipient added to your workspace.
Create a new card now or click the Add new cards button anytime from the actions panel (top right).
Following the on-screen prompts, you'll tackle the following:
- Decide whether you'd like to create cards in bulk or add them individually. For starters, we recommend starting with just one card.
- You can then decide whether to build a card based on one of your recipients (created above) or start a new card from scratch, adding information as you go. We recommend starting with the recipient you've just created.
- Add the email address of your recipient profile, and we'll search your workspace for them.
- Once your recipient is selected, we'll initialize some magical things.
- You can update the card name, but we recommend keeping it as the recipient email for better referencing and lookup.
- Select the template we'll use to merge your recipient and brand into a cohesive digital business card. This step sets the baseline for how your card is built.
- Once you select your template, we'll perform some more magic to prep your new card and prepare it for final customization. When we complete prep, we'll open an editor with all your card information.
- You might've noticed we auto-filled some information on the card using the fields from your recipient profile. That's the power of recipients! Whenever we can simplify things by logically auto-filling information, we will.
- You can make changes or customize how we map your recipient profile to the new card to ensure things are picture-perfect.
- Note: At any time, you can view a real-time preview of the card by clicking the View Preview buttons for each card platform.
- Note: You can save a draft of your cards at any time, and we'll store the current state of customizations so you can always come back later. Cards will not auto-save.
- When you are done customizing, it's time to publish your card. Publishing your card will make it live and ready for networking! Click the Save and Continue button to continue with publishing.
- To publish your card, you'll need to select the platforms you'd like us to deploy. If you are using a Simple Template, we require the web page and allow you to choose from the three optional platforms (wallet, QR, & email). Once selected, click the Publish Card Platforms button.
- When we are done publishing your card, it's ready for distribution and networking!
- You'll have a few options for distributing the cards to your team. You can distribute the entire card by granting card access to the recipient or individually share the card via the numerous share options. Most of this is done using the card's assigned email address.
- That's all for now; you can repeat this process for new cards and recipients or look at our clustering tools, which allow you to do this process in batches.
Step 4: Invite collaborators
You don't have to do this alone; invite a couple of team members to help you customize, create, distribute, and manage your team's new fleet of digital business cards.
We are always here to help sort out any confusion, and our expert concierge team is ready to step in and help whenever necessary.
P.S. If you're a lone wolf on this project, we commend you for your effort, and our business card magicians are happy to help anytime you need it! Please don't hesitate to contact us anytime with questions or funny jokes.
But wait...there's more!
The Social Card platform is quickly evolving thanks to the excellent knowledge, uses, and feedback from people like you. We are working on some pretty cool things, so stay tuned for new updates and additions.
To name just a few:
- Google Wallet Support: We'll be adding a partner to our industry-leading Apple Wallet integration. Soon our friends on Android can take advantage of digital networking right from their mobile wallets!
- NameDrop Support: We'll support the new iOS NameDrop feature, making contact sharing even more accessible for your team.
- Integrations: We plan to add integrations with the industry's top people management and directory tools and explore integrations with CRM and sales tools.
- Analytics Views: You'll soon be able to tell the whole story of your team's digital networking with easy-to-understand analytics.